Monday, March 31, 2008

A good Day for Jim


Today our good friend Gitta came to visit from Chicago. Jim was so happy to see her. He was having a good day and he just kept smiling at her and listening to her stories. It just made my heart swell to see him have this wonderful time with his dear friend. They have been friends for over 30 years and you could tell it in his face. For him to have a happy moment is priceless.
He was doing well today as I said. Vital's were actually a little better today. The doctor said, "He amazing." The nurses were a little rough with him today when they bathed him and changed his dressings. It actually upset me and I couldn't hold it back and said something to the nurse and you know what she snapped at me. I just looked at her and said maybe she shouldn't be a nurse. I snapped. It takes very little for me these days and when I see them treat Jim this way I lose it. I went directly to the head nurse and told him about the situation. The nurse in question never said another word to me all day. As long as she's kind to Jim I don't care and she didn't spend too much time with him only what she had to. Thank god Mary is back tonight. I know he's in good hands.
Gitta and I spent most of the day at the hospital and then we went out to dinner for some good girl chit chat.
I received this email and it warmed my heart. Thank you Sandy I will read it to Jim tomorrow. The photo above is Jim at a tournament doing what he loved most. Directing and being with the players.
Dear Patti,

Is it possible to have a blog fan? If so, I have been your silent fan for many months now, always checking to see how Jim is doing, sharing your happiness when things are good and sad when Jim was suffering. Always enjoying your pictures. Sometimes, when I read your blog, I feel like I am settled into reading a good Nicolas Sparks novel. Jim is so fortunate to have found happiness and love with you.

Ric and I have been friends with Jim for almost twenty-five years. I know this because he is one of the first people we met in the duplicate bridge world at Tree Towns in Elmhurst and that was before Katie was born. That little baby that we used to bring with us and put in a crib in the nursery while we played bridge and Erin Ralston baby sat is still our baby, but a twenty-three year old one.

Jim, my fondest memories of you are many, but some of the most treasured are your never ending sense of wit and humor. Never met a man that could rattle off as many jokes as you. Another is the Christmas sing-a-long parties at Angie's. You brought the songs, you brought the lyrics, and you brought the cheer. And the only good voice, other than Roseann!

No one who ever played bridge at Tree Towns or probably the entire Midwest will ever forget hearing you remind us: Bridge is a timed event. It doesn't matter how well you play, only how fast!

You are in our thoughts and prayers,

Sandy and Ric and Katie

No comments: