Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Couple of Rough Days for Jim

Jim has not had a very good week. That means the last 7 days. He started running a temp last Wednesday and while they have it under control sometimes he spikes to 103. Durig this time Jim goes to his special place to sleep the day away. He does not want to be bothered and he wants to just be left alone. Other times he just holds on to my hand and doesn't want me to leave him. All the cultures came back last night and the blood was positive for yeast and sputum for whatever that bacteria is. Today the pik line people came in to pull his line. It didn't work and they could not get a new one in. He had to go to SMH to the radiology dept to have it put in. This happened and now he has a new line. Th will watch him for 24 hours and if the temps continue they will then send him to have his dialysis line removed and a new one put in. They know for sure the pik line was hot but are hoping the dialysis line is OK.

The worst part of the SMH trip is that tiny little carrier he has to go on. YOu have to be about 80 pounds to fit on that thing. Getting him in and out of bed is hard on him. I was here when he came back from SMH and he just wanted to sleep. They were going to do the dialysis immediately. They can't give him the antiobiotics until after dialysis because the machine just takes the antiabiotics out of him. He is now on 5 antiobiatics.

His mood is not so good. His blood pressure goes up when I read him the sports page and the current Blue and Gold. I feel so helpless as to how to help him right now. WE are hoping now that the pik line is changed he'll become more alert. Today when I held his band he just shook it away and shook his head. YOu know the look. This tells me he's there but he's just hiding.

As for me I'm hanging by several threads. I'm trying to keep busy but the past several days when I am at home I just want to sleep. I bowled today and had the best bowling day I have ever had. 146, 144, 121. Monday I played bridge and Jan and I were 2nd overall for 5 sections with a 65% game. So I guess that when I'm doing something I am totally focused.

Sunday my sister made me breakfast and dinner. Yeah. The rest of the day Misty and I spent with Jim. Thanks Donna and Gina for the cards. I got a smile from him. Tonight I played bingo and Jackie and I both yelled Bingo. Mom was not so lucky. So that's what I've been up to. Sorry I have not blogged in several days but I just didn't have it in me.

No comments: