Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Grandpa's Cake for the Nurses



Jack told me a couple of weeks ago that I should make a cake for Grandpa. Just like everything else I have put this off. But today I made the cake. I had very specific instructions. It was to be grandpa's favorite which is orange cake. Then I had to have chocolate frosting (of course) and red candles. Jack I took it to grandpa today but they wouldn't let him eat the cake but he gave it to all of the nurses who are taking care of him. It did make him feel better to do something for them. He did blow the candles out and he was smiling.
Jim had difficulty breathing early this morning so they put him back on the ventilator. The pulminist said they could probably take him off this evening but decided to just let him rest and tomorrow they would decide what to do. So Jim just took it easy today. He has what is called a acinetobacter in his blood, sputum and urine. You can read about this at: http://www.pdhealth.mil/downloads/Acinetobacter_Fact_Sheet_for_Clinicians_23MAR05.pdf
The doctors are following this closely but as of yet they have given him no antibiotics. He has been on so many that he has become resistent. I just talked to his nurse and she gave him a bath and changed all his dressings so he's ready for a good night's sleep.
I just sat with Jim several times today and watched him sleep. It was quiet and I read a book and just gelled out with him. Tonight I went and played Bingo with my Mom and Sister. Mom is the only one who got to yell Bingo. Of well, the last time we played I got 3 bingos. I was a piggie that night. As you can tell I'm looking a little haggard and tired but this too shall pass. I always take Jim's picture for good luck and it usually works for me but it did for mom.

No comments: