Saturday, January 5, 2008

Mistakes continue

Today Jim was a little more alert and responding to me. Vitals are back to normal mid-range and that is good. But the mistakes continue. The pulminary group wanted to do a brochectomy yesterday and as I said yesterday they did not look on page 2 of Jim's chart and see the cell phone number. I was down eating lunch.

The doctor scheduled this for today and I signed all of the consent papers yesterday. I went in to see him before the procedure so I would not be in the way. His nurse came in and said he was going to have the B procedure and I told her that I knew that and would be leaving once he came. She then gave him his meds. They were smashed into powder so he could take them and then he was given water to flush them down.

The doctor walked in during this and could not believe the nurse was giving him the meds. He said to the nurse what are you doing. Did you not know we were going to do this procedure. She said yes but she wanted to get the meds out of they way. The doctor said don't you understand NPO before this procedure. She said she did not realize this. The doctor had to cancel the procedure again. It will now be Monday.

I went outside and just screamed. There was no one out there so it was no problem. I had a cig and calmed down. I went to the head nurse and said to please remove this nurse from Jim's care as I felt she did not know what she was doing.

I went back into the room and she was there hanging an antiabiotic. She apologized and said she did not know. I said you should have know because you are a nurse in critical care. She then started to argue with me. I didn't say a thing and went and got the head nurse and said get her out of there. I do not need her arguing with me. This was a stupid mistake and completely uncalled for.

I left for a while and then came back and watched some of the Ball State football game with him. He is drowsy but will open his eyes when you say his name. I'm home now but will go back in a little while and watch some of the playoff game with him.

Right now: Not as scared as last night but very nervous. His situation is very unstable and we just keep praying. The pulminary doctor said he is a little more stable that yesterday but he will see on Monday how the procedure goes.

No comments: