Friday, January 4, 2008

Evening Update

As you could probably tell from my earlier post things are not good with Jim. I spent the day with Jim and just holding his hand and telling him that I was there. Here is the update:

Gen Doctor: Ordered a battery of tests and cultures. We will see if they show anything. Ordered a chest xray. Right now they really not know what is going on. Consults we called in and we will watch him carefully. Ordered two pints of blood because of Low hemocrit and low hemoglobin.

Vent Tech: blood oxygen test showed lower oxygen levels requiring the vent to be put back on.

Pulminary Doctor: Doing a brochetomy in the morning. This could be just a bump in the road or something more serious. We just have to watch him carefully to see what happens. He said Jim does ths periodically so Jim will tell us where we are going.

Renal/Kidney doctor: High creatine and high protein. Both show kidney problems. He said when the oxygen levels are low the blood produces more protein and that is bad for the kidneys. He is hoped the blood will resolve this problem. He ordered a sonagram of the kidneys. No results yet.

When I first went in this morning Jim was unresponsive to me. He would barely open his eyes. Late today he would open his eyes more and respond to me. His color was good so that is one good sign.

Father Mike came to see Jim midday and Jim opened his eyes for him. The priest talked to him and it seemed that JIm was listening to him. Father Mike prayed with him and when he said the Lords Prayer Jim mouthed the words.

Not the best of days. Lots of tears. Thank you Jackie for being there for me and just listening and then making me eat tonight I love you.

Big time prayers are needed tonight. Jim is in serious need of help. If I put everything I heard today together the prognosis is not very good. Jim and I are both comfortable with our love and he knows that if he feels it is time that it is OK for him to leave. This was the hardest thing I have ever done to tell him that it was OK. I told him I would always love him and I wanted him by my side but that I understood that his poor body has been through so much and that if he needed to go please to go with peace. He smiled at me and told me he loved me. Now we just wait and see.

No comments: