Thursday, February 21, 2008

I'm on my Soapbox Again


Ok right now I am furious. I went in to see Jim tonight at 7:00 after we were done with the bridge tournament for the day. First of all Jim has a very hard time calling for a nurse so they have a special handheld button that is easier for him to use. This device is on the floor. The second item is the regular nurse call button. This is on the floor. The back up is the ventilator alarm. This alarm goes off automatically if Jim is in trouble. This alarm had been disconnected. So there is no backup of any kind. He has absolutely no way to call for a nurse if he is in trouble. I have been over this with the Charge Nurse, the nursing supervisor and the nurse manager. They have all told me that this would never happen again. This is about the fifth time. How can they allow this to happen. Why do they want to put their patients in this type of risk. We have enough risks without this simple procedure being followed. I talked to the charge nurse tonight and said I want an officil complaint form submitted. I told her I would speak with the Director in the morning to make sure this happens.I am sorry but there is absolutely no excuse for this.
I thought I could go play a bridge tournament and he would be safe but I guess I am wrong. Tuesday they messed up the 24 hour urine test that now can not start until morning. They lost his ND blanket over the weekend. Plus his arms are completely bruised. We had them almost cleared up and tonight his arms are almost a complete bruise. I am so frustrated I can't stand it.
As for the bridge. We won today. The first match was a three way and we won both matches. We are in the second bracket of (7 brackes total). We then won the second match so tomorrow we are in the semi-finals. Yeah us because we had a bad week up until today. We went out for a wonderful dinner at the Crap Shack. I had lobster and blue crab salad. It was wonderful. We even saw a gator in the river below the window.
Jim received a lot of cards this week. Thanks to everyone. He has really enjoyed them. The letters are the best because he loves hearing from friends and family.

No comments: