Sunday, August 12, 2007

Saturday - A Busy Day


They say I have to take care of myself so I did some things for myself today. I went to a Doodling class this morning and what fun. I found it was OK to just have fun doodling on my scrapbook pages. I'll post some of them when I'm finished.
I have not taken Misty to see Jim for the past couple of days. She is not happy about this.

After class I went to see Jim. We've had a couple of pretty bad days. It seems you are going along just fine and then Bam. You hit a wall. Jim spiked a 103 temp on Thursday and we were desperate to find the cause and to get the temp down. I spent the entire day with him. My job was to put fresh ice packs under his arms, groin and forehead every 30 minutes. We were able to get the temp down but it just wiped him out. They gave him pain meds to keep him comfortable. The problem was his breathing so they put him back on the venelator. This was to keep him from expending all of his energy on the breathing. He slept most of Thursday and Friday.

Today the cultures are back and he has a yeast infection. This is the best possible of all the infections as it is the easiest to treat. More antiobiotics for Jim. They also removed the pick line and put another one in.

All of this has left Jim really depressed. He just lies their and is looking incrediably sad. I know this is really hard for him after going along great. He was eating and they were talking about taking the trach out. Now he's taken this huge step backward. I wanted to hug him but with all of the tubes and wires it's hard. But I got in there and just held him and told him that it was going to be OK. I told him how much I love him and together we would see this through. I said give me a smile and he did. I told him I was going to go to the movies and not to chase the nurses while I was gone. That got a smile out of him.

The nurses told me a little while ago that he did watch the Miami/Jacksonville game so that was good. I have the new Fantasy magazines for him so we're now in Football mode.

Go Bucs. The've got their first win.

No comments: