Sunday, August 12, 2007

Jim's New Look at Life


Today was a really bad day. Probably a 10 on the bad day scale. At 4:30 this morning Jim went into cardic arrest. They were able to bring him back within two minutes. They called me and I was at the hospital within 20 minutes. He was alert and responsive and he knew what had just happened to him. He was scared and I just held him the best I could with all of his paraphenlia. The doctor felt that it would be safer for him to be at Sarasota Memorial so they called the paramedics and he was moved with lights flashing.


At the hospital they let me sit with him while they did what they do. Kevin (our previous vent tech) actually lowered his oxygen levels. Doctors, lab techs and blood guys came and went and by 9:00 they deemed him stable. Working on an hour or two of sleep they said to go home and let them do what they do. I asked Jim what he wanted me to do and he said to go home that he would be fine. He puckered up for a kiss so I knew he would be OK for a while.


Sleep came and went but mostly I freted. Dr. Morgan called and she was negative. Dr. Prakash called and he was positive. They have called all previous docs for consults. So far the speculations and facts are:


  • Maybe a mild heart attack. Dr. to determine tomorrow.

  • Maybe a mucas clot got in the trach so he couldn't breathe which made his heart slow down and stop

  • Chest x-ray showed improvement from 2 weeks ago

  • Giving him a pint of blood. Hemoglobin is low

  • There is an infection somewhere and the can not find it but are working on it

  • Lots of antibiotics

  • Dopomine for blood pressure

  • 40% oxygen, down from this morning

He was in good spirits when I left tonight. He wanted to watch the football game so that was good because he was aware that there was a football game. He laughed at my sister's jokes and he told me he loved me. I assured him that we all love him and are praying he can get through this.


For today God has decided it's not his turn. The chaplain was there and was great with both of us. Tonight I'll sleep and think of the wonderful times we've had and that we will again. This is a picture of one of those fun times.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just testing to see if the comment section works. Leave me a comment if you have somethig to say. Patty