Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Bit Confused Today


Today Jim was a bit confused about things. It started out today when I went to visit Jim. He was really mad at me. He was also mad at Bob. It seems he thought that Bob and I had left him alone with Lucas (our grandson). He wanted to know where we went and why Bob had a gun. Now that is confused. I explained to him that Lucas was home in Illinois with Bob and Teresa and everything was OK. Tonight he wanted to place bets in Vegas.


I talked with the doctor and he said that Jim was sedated for a very long time. He said that these drugs cause patients to have very bad dreams and these dreams some time come from the people that visit with him and things he may hear that we don't realize. These dreams are a part of his reality. We just have to be patient with him and explain the way things really are. He made of heard the nurses talking about going to Vegas and that peaked his interest there. He may have heard Bob saying he was going to go home but was leaving Teresa and the kids here with me. I guess that explains some of this but it is hard to see him this confused. He has really been focusing on Bob. When I visited him this afternoon I took in this picture of Bob and Lucas and showed him that all was well and they were together. That seemed to satisfy him. I took this picture while they were here in Florida.


Tom Haley, Sally's brother, came to visit today and that seemed to perk Jim up. It is always good for him to see someone other than me.


He was off the ventilator all day today and they had his speaking valve on so he could talk to us and boy was he talking. He did have a lot to say. His wants right now are food, drink and getting home. He told the nurses this morning that he thought it was time for him to go home.
I agree . . . but alas he is not ready. Today he was stronger and seemed better. Let's home it continues this way. I went over tonight and tucked him in and gave him a hug. He smiled and was asleep before I left.


No comments: