Friday, November 16, 2007

Thursday Not So Good

Yesterday was not a really good day. I spent the morning fighting with the insurance company. They wanted Jim moved yesterday to a skilled nursing facility. The doctor did not want this to happen. I called my insurance agent in Chicago and they got BCBS on the phone and we were trying to work it out. The three doctors were all against the move. Jim had been told he was moving and nobody was happy. BCBS finally said the doctors could fax more information.

I went down to see Jim again and the nurse was in with him and all of a sudden he stopped breathing. People came from everywhere and I went into the corner and just cried. Someone took me out of the room and just told me to breath and then the doctor came out and said he was ok that the trach clogged and he was now breathing. For the next hour I sat in the room with him and kept telling him I was there and holding his hand. The tech's never left his side. There were also 2 or 3 nurses there at all times.

They decided to put him back on the vent because his oxygen levels were very low. the CO2 built up in his lungs and they needed to clear that out. Once he was stable and talking to me I just put a movie in and we watched Ocean 13. He finally fell asleep and was resting comfortably.

I called at 10:00 and at 1:00 and he was resting comfortably.

Obviously he is not being moved now. I just checked with the hospital and he is comfortable and alert and interacting with the nurses. For those of you that I should have called I'm sorry. I just could not face this last night. I will check in with you this weekend.

No comments: