Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Missing in Action



Well I've been gone for awhile. No excuses except that my heart just wasn't into putting my feelings on paper or cyberspace as it is. My life has been in complete turmoil for the past month.


A big factor for me has been this bathroom repair. My bathroom has now been torn up for almost a month. We are gearing into the finish line I think but boy has this been a job. My contractor is a big talker and no action. He finally has a guy that knows what he is doing and I think we just might get this done. They have gotten the floor repaired and all of the mold is gone. The new window is in and the drywall is up. The final sand was today so my entire house has a layer of dust. This will be a big job to clean up. The tile has been laid and the grout is in. Tomorrow John is going to paint the walls and put in the baseboards and the toilet may even go back in. Now you may think this is then end. But . . .
The other bathroom has a soft floor. What this means is that the floor is deteriorating and could fall through at any time. So they have to tear out this floor and put in a new one. This will be much simpler I think because they have no mold issues and foundation issues. So I think the master bathroom will be done by next Tuesday but I am not going to hold my breath.
We've had some really bad storms and I had no telephone or Internet for several days. Got all of that back today. The street light in front of my house was hit by lightning. The boom was so loud I thought it hit the house. According to Verizon it actually fried my telephone box and they had to replace it with a new one.
I had a really heartwarming phone call today. A gentleman called and asked for Jim and I gave him the sad news. The person was actually a student of Jim's from 45 years ago in Kalamazoo. He told me that they had had a reunion and were talking about teachers. He said Jim's name came up and they talked about what a great teacher he was. This James said he just decided to see if he could find Jim and see how he was. The student told me how much his students thought of him and they all had great stories to tell at the reunion. It warms my heart that there are people out there that have such great memories of my Jim. It was great talking to this student.
I'll be better with blogging and promise to post some scrapbook pages and photos of my finished bathrooms. Life doesn't always hand us roses but please I could use less lemons.

No comments: