Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Where is Fay going next?




Where will Fay go next? That is the biggest question of the day.

Living in Florida we accept the consequences of hurricane season but this is the first time that I have faced the challenge. I lived in Tampa and Clearwater for 25 years and never saw a hurricane or tropical storm. What a lot of work it is to get ready. There are trips to Home Depot and Publix. You have to have the supplies. Next you have to take everything inside. This includes trash cans, grills, hoses, recycling bins and bicycles.

You pack up all of your valuables and important papers and head to a hotel. I was freaking out about my scrapbooks. There was no room to take them with me so I packed them all in water tight storage bins and hoped for the best. I put some in the refrigerator (my mom's idea because these rarely get wet) and the stove. I walked out the door and hoped for the best.

At the hotel right down the street were people just like me and my sister and mom. All hoping for the best. Most of these people were from Camelot so we knew a lot of people. Misty was the official greeter. She loved the adventure.

When we woke up this morning we knew that we had gotten lucky. Fay headed to Fort Myers instead of Sarasota. In fact we did not even get a drop of rain. We had wind and the Sky's were gray but no rain. After leaving the hotel I decided to drive out to the beach to check out the waves. Guess what there were no waves. I was so disappointed. The beach looked as it always does, nice and calm.

So another day in paradise. Yes but paradise comes with 90 degree temperatures and 90 percent humidity and that is exactly what we had today. Was all the work and expense worth the evacuation. Yes it was because we are all safe. Fay could have come to visit.

Today I just took it easy and caught up on my sleep. That is what gray sky's and rainy days are for. We just didn't get he rain.

No comments: