Sunday, January 4, 2009

One Small Victory

It's a victory with Medicare and that is saying a lot. It has taken over six months to deal with this. Before Jim got sick he ordered a new prosthetic leg. He never got delivery of this prosthesis. I tried to get it but the company would not give it to me because I was not the client. After Jim died I decided I would either sell the leg or donate it to a worthy cause. The cost of this prosthesis was a little over $11,000. Not a small amount and Medicare paid the bill even though there was no delivery.

Since this St. Petersburg company would not give me the leg and it had been paid for I wrote to Medicare. A couple weeks after I wrote the letter Medicare responded and said they would look into the situation. I just received a letter from Medicare and on December 18th they required Orthopedic and Prosthesis Center of St. Petersburg to return the money they were paid for this prosthesis. If they do not repay the amount it will be deducted from further payments from Medicare.

Yeah a victory. Small but satisfying. Since we all contribute to the Medicare fund it is good that we do not have them pay for services that are not provided.

No comments: